Akon can supply you with ESD Curtains. These Antistatic Curtains are critical for applications where any electrical discharge could pose an explosion risk or damage critical components. Unlike topically treated antistatic materials which can wear off after prolonged use, our line of industrial curtains is completely antistatic. The ESD PVC film has an anti-static agent added at the compound stage making it last longer. Also available are ESD grid curtains.
Antistatic curtains come with grommets at the top making hanging the curtains quick and easy with or without the curtain track.
Antistatic curtains are about 1/3rd of the cost of other separation methods such as rigid walls or panel systems and are easy to store.
Antistatic curtain walls are ideal for separating workers from sensitive areas where electrical discharge could be dangerous.
Antistatic curtains help reduce noise due to the thick PVC they are made from which makes for a more comfortable work environment.
The appearance of these antistatic curtains is the same as any common PVC film. Both sides of the film have the same properties. These curtains are commonly used in the following applications. The Industrial ESD PVC curtains also have a great draping ability so that they can be used as protective covering for carts, instruments, or even entire walls.
- Cleanroom ESD Curtains
- Semiconductor ESD Curtains
- Microelectronics ESD Curtains
- Production processes sensitive to electricity
ESD Grid Curtain / Antistatic Curtain Film
These curtains are an ideal barrier curtain wall for sensitive environments. The honeycomb grids are installed on both sides of the PVC curtain for additional dissipation of static electricity. The material is 12mil thick.
- Material is thin which compacts easily
- The PVC grid curtains are less expensive than thicker materials
- The PVC can ship in rolls that are quick to deploy
- The conductive scrim grounds the static charges
ESD Strip Curtains and Doors
Strip curtains allow the rapid movement of people and material from one side to the other. The strips come in widths of 4” up to 24” depending on your application needs.
- ESD Strips come in thickness from .080” to .240”
- Mounting hardware comes in stainless or galvanized
- Strips can be purchased in bulk rolls or pre-cut and punched
- They are easy to replace should they become damaged
ESD PVC Curtain Walls
Like the anti-static grid curtain shown above, the curtain walls are generally thicker and more robust. They come in thicknesses from 14 mil to 120 mil. These can be installed as static fixed in place barriers or movable side-to-side walls via industrial track.
- Can be hundreds of feet wide to section off large spaces
- Sections can be Velcro or magnet attached
- PVC comes in all clear, tinted, solid color, or frosted
- The curtains can be secured to the floor for a clean finish
- 14 Mil Film, 40 Mil (1.0mm), 60 Mil (1.5mm), 80 Mil (2.0mm), 120 Mil (3.0mm)
ESD Vinyl Curtain Walls
Less expensive than the thicker ESD PVC curtain material above, the ESD Vinyl curtains are thinner and more flexible. They are custom made to your specific requirements just like the other materials.
- Light forest green front and black back
- Can be double layered for black front and back or green front and back
- Static dissipative green front and conductive black back
- Surface resistance on the green side of 109 – 1010 ohms
What's the difference between ESD Anti-Static vs Anti-Static Coated?
- ESD - Has anti-static proprieties that are part of the PVC and can never wear off. (Most Expensive, Longest Lasting and Highest possible Anti-Static Properties). ESD comes in 2 styles which are Outgassing and Non-Outgassing.
- Anti-Static Coated - Has a sprayed on Anti-Static Coating which with enough time and friction might wear off. (Least Expensive)
What is surface resistance?
- Surface resistance is a measurement of how easily an electric charge can travel across a medium. Conductive materials are those that have a surface resistance of less than 1 x 105 ohms/square. Dissipative items have a surface resistance of more than 1 x 105, but less than 1 x 1011 ohms square.
- Antistatic materials are generally referred to as any material which inhibits triboelectric charging. This kind of charging is the buildup of an electric charge by rubbing or contact with another material.
- An insulative material is one that has a surface resistance of greater than 1 x 1012 ohms square
Does AKON offer spray-on ESD inhibitors?
- No. Spray-on inhibitors wear off in a short time. The ESD-resistance properties in ESD materials are part of the formulation of the vinyl. That means the ESD-resistant properties are permanent. They do not wear off.
ESD Outgassing Vs Non-Outgassing?
- Outgassing - Anti-static properties are built in not sprayed on so the curtains will need to be cleaned periodically as the anti-static properties that are attached to the plasticizers migrate to the surface. This will not degrade the material as you can't wipe away the anti-static properties as they are part of the polymer. This happens with all ESD curtains on the market. There is also an aroma to the curtains. Cleaning it periodically is highly recommended – every 3-6 months depending on the environment.
- Non-Outgassing - This material which is also called thermoplastic polyurethane is inherently anti-static and is a true non-outgassing esd anti-static curtain. However, the non-outgassing esd curtains are more expensive. Since this material does not outgas the smell would also be considered neutral.
Can ESD curtains be used outdoors?
- No. they are not ideal for outdoor use: The sun causes the anti-static properties to bloom and migrate to the surface making the strips greasy and cloudy
Solid Curtain Hardware
- 16 gauge galvanized steel tracks
- Nylon roller hooks for easy opening
- 6 mounting styles to connect to various structures
- Free standing hardware for up to 20' in height
Static Mount Hardware
- Aluminum Angle - Use with self tapping Tek screws to pinch curtain to angle.
- Grommets Only - You can then use many DIY methods to hang the curtains.
- Beam Clamps - Clamps onto the flange of beams, joists and purlins.
Strip Curtain Hardware
- Header Mount
- Wall Mount
- Universal Mount
- Threaded Rod Mount (Just a Feature of Universal Mount)
- Supported from the floor up
- Used in open floors when you can support from above
- Allow the strips to roll out of the way
- Ideal for complete access when strips are not needed
- Note the strips roll like a barn door and do not fold up